The Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Lift Louisiana’s (Lift’s) fundraising. This includes philanthropic / foundation funding, grant funding, individual donor fundraising, major gifts, planned giving, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, and special events. These activities constitute Lift’s main revenue streams, which allow us to achieve our mission and maximize our impact in the community. The Development Director should demonstrate professional conduct while serving as a representative of the organization and should express enthusiasm for building awareness of and commitment to Lift Louisiana’s work. The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director and the Advisory Board’s Fundraising Committee in developing fundraising goals and strategies and nurturing a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization. As this is a new position in the organization, the Development Director will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Executive Director to shape how this position should function to best support the organization’s needs.
- Design fundraising and development strategies.
- The Development Director will work with the Advisory Board and Executive Director to develop annual fundraising strategies, objectives, and goals. Lift welcomes creative input and new ideas to increase revenue and attract a large sustained base of individual donors.
- Organize, implement, and monitor fund development activities.
- The Development Director will implement fundraising strategies, monitor project milestones, and report on progress toward short- and long-term fundraising objectives and goals. This includes responsibility for overseeing all fundraising activities including philanthropic / foundation funding, grant funding (prospect research and proposal writing), individual donor fundraising, major gifts, planned giving, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, and special events.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing and prospective donors.
- The Development Director will pursue, cultivate, and maintain relationships with current and prospective supporters, including philanthropic foundations, individual donors, and volunteers. This includes managing Lift’s donor database and systems / software for tracking existing and prospective donors.
- Actively reinforce Lift’s organizational culture by upholding Lift’s Racial Equity and Inclusion (REI) Commitments and Core Values (which can be viewed here: http://LiftLouisiana.org/about).
- The Development Director must be dedicated to centering racial equity to advance reproductive rights and access for all women. This includes prioritizing diversity and inclusion in decision-making and articulating Lift's core values to donors.
- Authentically participating as part of Lift’s team.
- The Development Director should authentically participate as part of Lift’s team and communicate fundraising goals throughout the organization. This includes participating in Advisory Board meetings as needed and performing other related duties as requested.
- Must embrace Lift Louisiana’s mission to educate, advocate, and litigate for the policy changes needed to improve the health and wellbeing of Louisiana’s women, their families, and their communities. Embracing this mission requires uplifting the voices of marginalized communities and centering their experiences within Lift’s advocacy and policy work.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly grant fundraising and individual donor development.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal-driven person to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude.
- Show concern for people and community.
- Demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening abilities.
- Lift Louisiana seeks to align its hiring practices with its values and purpose. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Full-time job with benefits.
- Salary Range ($60,000 - $70,000). Salary negotiable.
- Projected Start Date: May 1, 2020.
- Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Development Director Applicant.”
- The deadline for applications is 4/10/20, or until the position is filled. Candidates selected for interviews will be notified by or before 4/30/20.
- Within your cover letter, please elaborate on any personal or professional experience that makes you a good fit for carrying out Lift Louisiana’s mission. Please consider answering one of the following questions within your cover letter:
- Tell us about your personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through a past job experience, personal activism, or any other pertinent experience.
- Do you have a personal story you would like to share about your connection to the following: lived experiences of reproductive oppression, experience implementing racial equity strategies, and/or relationships in the reproductive health, rights, and justice field.
- What do power, privilege, oppression, and reproductive justice mean to you? How would you see your role in actualizing reproductive justice through working with Lift?
- Why do you want to dedicate your time, energy, and resources to fighting for reproductive rights? What would a victory look like?
- How do you respectfully and authentically center the fact that access to reproductive healthcare has the hardest impacts on marginalized women while talking to privileged decision makers and donors?
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director.
The Development Director will work in a shared office space which may lack privacy. There is the potential for noise in that can be difficult to regulate. Lift Louisiana permits teleworking. Local or other travel may be required for this position.
Lift Louisiana is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and women are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Lift Louisiana offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, life, short- and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending plans.
This position is located in New Orleans, Louisiana.