What's At Stake #1: The Affordable Care Act
Congress and the new administration are gearing up to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), otherwise known as Obamacare. If the ACA is repealed now, hundreds of thousands of Louisiana's women stand to lose:
- Guaranteed maternity coverage. Before the ACA, 62% of women in the individual market did not have maternity coverage.
- Prohibition on pre-existing condition exclusions. Before the ACA, women could be denied coverage because they had been the victim of domestic violence or had a C-section.
- Direct access to an ob-gyn. Before the ACA, many women needed a referral from another physician to see her ob-gyn.
- Prohibition on gender rating. Before the ACA, women were charged as much as 85% more than men for the same coverage.
- No-copay coverage for women's preventive services. More than 55 million women are benefiting from access to these preventive services, including gyn cancer screenings, vaccines, and contraception.
Many medical associations, including the The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), are urging Congress not to take this dramatic step of turning their backs on these women’s health protections.